Make delicious, healthy vinegar cheaply and easily in your own kitchen!
Why make vinegar at home? It’s cheap, delicious and adds nuances of flavors to food. It is made using a “mother” so you get all the probiotic health benefits. It's a wonderful way to utilize scraps from your kitchen that would either be thrown into the garbage or the compost. And best of all... It’s easy!
In this class we will cover:
- A general overview of vinegar and vinegar-making
- Ingredients that can be used for making home-made vinegar
- Materials needed to make your own vinegar
- Step-by-step instruction and guidance on how to create your own home-made vinegar
This class will include a guided demonstration, Q&A, and a hands-on vinegar creation segment. Each participant will make a jar of vinegar in class to take home and also leave with a vinegar “mother” along with basic vinegar recipes to continue creating vinegars at home.
*Registration closes November 4, 2021
* All programs are subject to change based on unformseen circumstances including inclement weather. Participants will recieve an email and phone call if there are any program changes or cancellations.
* This program will be held in the summer kitchen.
*Parking is along the field above the farmhouse.
* All payments for single day classes and workshops are non-refundable. Cancelled registrations or no-shows will be considered donations unless the Horn Farm Center cancels the program. Thank you for supporting regenerative farming and educational programs at the Horn Farm Center.
About the Intructor
This class will be led by Laura Bair. Laura has been creating fermented foods for a number of years. Her culinary adventures include fermented vegetables, fermented fruit, vinegar, kombucha, kefir water/milk, tempeh, vegan yogurt, and vegan “cheese.” She uses fermented and “slow-cooked” foods to add nuances of flavor and taste to her meals, harness the benefits of probiotics to promote healthy gut nutrition, and as a means to preserve food in bulk. She and her husband follow a whole-food plant based diet and reside on a 1-acre food forest/garden/orchard located between Hallam and Wrightsville. Laura’s nutrition and culinary certificates include: a Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate from T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell; a ServSafe Food Safety Manager certification; and a Culinary Rx Certificate of Completion from Rouxbe Online Culinary School. In addition to teaching classes at the Horn Farm, Laura serves as a Nutrition Educator at York Fresh Food Farms’ mobile produce markets. Laura’s formal education is in Nursing and Education.
Health and Safety
The Horn Farm Center is offering on-site educational programming with some modifications due to COVID-19. Multiple hand sanitizer stations are available. We will adjust as needed as time passes and things change.
In order to ensure the health and safety of our visitors, volunteers and staff, participant expectations are as follows:
- Participants are required to bring a mask and wear it when indoors, unless you are fully vaccinated.
- Do not attend if sick or recovering.
York, PA 17406
|Home Vinegar Making||$ 45.00|