Community Gardens SEASONAL Plot Registration 2019
- This is to register for SEASONAL Plots.
- We will assign SEASONAL Plots on a "First Come, First Served" basis. Returning gardeners will retain their previous plots unless otherwise requested.
- The fee for one 20' x 20' plot is $50.
- You have the option to add up to three more SEASONAL Plots at $35 for each additional plot.
- Your registration is your signature of agreement to the HFC Community Gardens rules and responsibilities listed below.
Horn Farm Center Community Gardener Responsibilities
Chemical Free Gardening:
- Community gardens must be managed “Chemical Free”.
- The use of chemical herbicides, insecticides, fungicides and fertilizers is not permitted.
- The use of organically approved herbicides, insecticides, fungicides and fertilizer products are allowed. If you are not sure if something is allowed, please check with the Education Director before use. (email@example.com 717.332.8710.)
- Use of unauthorized chemical products may be grounds for immediate termination from community gardens.
- Gardeners are responsible to weed and properly manage their gardens and keep outside plot borders weeded.
- Weeds are a valuable source of nutrients and mulch when dropped in place in your plot. If you choose to remove them, they may be placed in the composting area and are not to be thrown on the outside edges of your plots or in any other common area around the Horn Farm Center grounds.
- Tall crops should be planted only where they will not shade neighboring plots.
- Vining plants should be contained within the plot borders.
Storage on garden sites:
- Lockers smaller than 2 feet high, 2 feet wide, and 6 feet long are permitted.
- Shanties and lean-to shelters or shade stands of any kind are not permitted.
- Water is available from the faucets at the north end of the gardens and from the farm house rain barrels.
- Only hand watering (cans or buckets) is permitted.
- Hoses are NOT permitted.
- Watering containers must be covered or turned upside down after use; no standing water is permitted in the garden area.
- In the event of drought conditions, the Center reserves the right to turn off the water.
- Temporary fencing of plots is encouraged but must fall inside the outer 6” border of the plot.
- Wood (not metal) should be used to support border fencing and to stake plants.
- Weeding must be done on outside edge of fencing.
- Trash and litter are to be cleaned from plots, adjacent pathways, and fences.
- Take trash and litter with you and dispose of them appropriately.
- Dogs must be leashed and in owner’s control at all times.
- Pick up after your pet.
- Loud music is prohibited in the garden plot area.
- Smoking cigarettes is prohibited in the gardens area.
End of Season Clean-up:
- On or before October 31, gardeners must remove any intact straw bales, all non-biodegradable material (i.e., stakes, fence, wire, lumber, ground covers), and any perennials from the garden.
- Do not remove the original stakes placed by the Center.
- Failure to comply may result in loss of future garden plot rental opportunity.
Early Rental Leave:
- If for any reason a plot must be abandoned the gardener shall notify the Community Garden Coordinator asap.
- If a plot becomes unkempt, the gardener will be given one week’s notice to clean it up, after which it may be reassigned or tilled in.
- Refunds are not given for early departure or termination.
- New gardeners must attend an orientation meeting prior to plot assignment.
Year-Round Gardener Criteria:
- To obtain a year-round plot at the Horn Farm, you must have been a Community Gardener at the Horn Farm Center for at least one season and have demonstrated strict adherence to the standard Responsibilities listed above.
York, PA 17406
|ONE Seasonal Garden Plot||$ 50.00|
|TWO Seasonal Garden Plots||$ 85.00|
|THREE Seasonal Garden Plots||$ 120.00|
|FOUR Seasonal Garden Plots||$ 155.00|