Growing your own food has many benefits: being able to ensure food safety and security, saving money, enjoying the health benefits of eating the freshest food possible, the satisfaction that comes from raising your own food from seed to harvest, and deepening your relationship with the land.
The Community Garden program at the Horn Farm Center for Agricultural Education offers soil lovers and aspiring farmers the opportunity to grow fresh, chemical-free food on prime farmland in the company of other enthusiastic and dedicated gardeners. Garden plots are rented annually from April 1st through March 31. Each plot measures approximately 20 x 20 feet. Plots are assigned on a "First Come, First Served" basis. Returning gardeners will retain their previous plots unless otherwise requested.
- The annual fee for one 20' x 20' plot is $55.
- You have the option to add additional plots at $35 each.
- Your registration is your signature of agreement to the HFC Community Gardens rules and responsibilities listed below.
Horn Farm Center Community Gardener Responsibilities
- Community gardens must be managed in an ecologically responsible way. The use of chemical herbicides, insecticides, fungicides and fertilizers is not permitted. Organically approved herbicides, insecticides, fungicides and fertilizer products are allowed. If you are not sure if something is allowed, please check with the Education Director before use. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or (717)757-6441.
- Use of unauthorized chemical products is grounds for immediate cancellation of the rental agreement.
- Gardeners are responsible to weed and properly manage their gardens and keep outside plot borders weeded.
- Weeds are a valuable source of nutrients when dropped in place within your plot and used as mulch. If you choose to remove them, they may be placed in the designated composting area. Neither plant matter or stones are to be thrown outside the edges of your plot or in any other common area such as paths or driving lanes.
- Tall crops should be planted where they will not shade neighboring plots. Vining plants should be contained within the plot borders.
Storage on garden sites:
- Lockers smaller than 2 feet high, 2 feet wide, and 6 feet long are permitted. Shanties and lean-to shelters or shade stands of any kind are not permitted.
- Water is available from the faucets at the north end of the gardens and from the farm house rain barrels.
- Only hand watering (cans or buckets) is permitted. Hoses are NOT permitted.
- Watering containers must be covered or turned upside down after use. To prevent the creation of habitat for mosquito larvae, no standing water is permitted in the garden area.
- Temporary fencing of plots is encouraged but must fall inside the outer 6” border of the plot.
- Weeding must be done on outside edge of fencing.
- Dogs must be leashed and in owner’s control at all times. Pick up after your pet.
- Trash and litter are to be cleaned from plots, adjacent pathways, and disposed of properly.
- Loud music is prohibited in the garden plot area.
- Smoking cigarettes is prohibited in the gardens area.
- If for any reason a plot must be abandoned, the gardener shall notify the Community Garden Coordinator immediately.
- If a plot becomes unkempt, the gardener will be given one week’s notice to clean it up. If clean up does not occur within the one week time frame, the plot will be considered abandoned, and will be reassigned to another gardener.
- No refunds are given for early departure or termination.
- If not renewing for the following season, gardeners must remove any intact straw bales, all non-biodegradable material (i.e., stakes, fence, wire, lumber, ground covers), and any perennials from the garden. Do not remove the original stakes placed by the Center.
- New gardeners must attend an orientation meeting prior to plot assignment. Dates will be announced in late March or early April.
York, PA 17406
|ONE Seasonal Garden Plot||$ 55.00|
|TWO Seasonal Garden Plots||$ 90.00|
|THREE Seasonal Garden Plots||$ 125.00|
|FOUR Seasonal Garden Plots||$ 160.00|
|FIVE Seasonal Garden Plots||$ 195.00|
|SIX Seasonal Garden Plots||$ 230.00|