The Horn Farm Center is home to a fully restored summer kitchen, certified and registered by the PA Department of Agriculture and equipped for hands-on cooking and learning experiences. The building’s most unique feature is its 1780s wood-fired Squirrel Tail oven, which is the centerpiece of our bread baking classes and workshops.
This year, due to COVID-19, the Horn Farm Summer Kitchen is closed for indoor classes and workshops. However, the Horn Farm will be hosting a series of Outdoor Kitchen Workshops. Unlike our Summer Kitchen workshops, the HFC Outdoor Kitchen workshops will provide educational instruction and demonstration only. In order to protect the health and safety of our visitors, food prepared during our outdoor education series will not be available for consumption.
2021 Outdoor Kitchen Class Offerings (click to register):
Saturday, April 10, 2021 at 12:30pm: Home Vinegar Making with Laura Bair
Herb Classes: Foundations of Plant Medicine Series
Learn the basics of working with medicinal herbs with Natasha Alvarez. This class is held every 3rd Thursday from April-July in person at the Horn Farm.
- Oil Infusions and Salves – May 15, 2021 at 10:00am
- Tincture Making- June 19, 2021 at 10:00am
- Crafting an Herbal First Aid Kit – July 17, 2021 at 10:00am
- Water Infusions and Plant Journals – August 21, 2021 at 10:00am
Horn Farm Center Health and Safety Policy
Due to COVID-19 the Horn Farm Center is offering on-site educational programming with some modifications in order to ensure the health and safety of our visitors, volunteers and staff. All classes will be held outside and are limited to 15 participants per class. If more than one class occurs on the same day, start times will be staggered to reduce the number of individuals arriving at the same time. Multiple hand sanitizer stations are available. We will adjust as needed as time passes and things change.
Participant expectations are as follows:
- Participants are required to bring a mask and wear it when proper physical distancing cannot be maintained. We have a limited supply on hand if you forget yours.
- Physical distancing of 6 feet must be maintained except in case of family members.
- Do not attend if sick or recovering.
Until further notice, no indoor classes are available at this time. We are offering virtual classroom experiences via zoom.