The Weekly Share
Here’s what to expect in this week’s share:
- Cherry tomatoes
- Herbs – oregano and sage
- Hot peppers
- Sweet peppers
- Swiss chard
*Due to the unpredictability of weather, pest problems, and other factors produce in the weekly shares are subject to last minute changes.
Another week, another watermelon! Like anything in our CSA shares we can run out of ideas of what to do with a fruit or vegetable that we get for several weeks in a row, especially something that is traditionally eaten plain and raw – as delicious as that is. In our house, with just two of us, a whole watermelon alone can be a lot to go through so we’re getting creative. Here’s some ideas:
- Watermelon ice cubes – Puree watermelon, strain out the seeds and pour into ice cube trays. These are great for flavoring water, cocktails or even wine. Add some mint to your puree for some extra summer flavor.
- Watermelon salad – Mix up watermelon cubes, feta cheese, basil and some balsamic glaze for a delicious summer salad.
- Smoothies – Freeze watermelon cubes and use in smoothies. These also make great popsicle treats for kids.
- Watermelon rind pickles – I remember my aunt used to make and can these, unusual but tasty.
- Watermelon granita – I know frozen treats seem to be a theme but the added lime and ginger give this watermelon treat a welcome twist.
How have you been enjoying your watermelon? Any recipes to share?
News from the Farm
- The end of tomato season is nearly upon us. The field tomatoes are finished for the season but we’ll still have a couple weeks of hoop-house tomatoes from Kilgore Farms.
- For those enjoying the pick your own herb garden you’ll notice the basil had to be cut down, powdery mildew unfortunately claimed the patch.
- Just a reminder for Seventh and George share pick-up folks, please remember to return your share boxes.
- Just some sights around the farm:
Connect and Share
What is your favorite part of your CSA share? Are you having trouble figuring out what to do with something in your share? If you have a recipe or picture you want to share, a trick you learned, or a question about your CSA produce please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org. Share on social media with the hashtag #HornFarmCSA.