Part-Time, Seasonal Land Steward
Do you love getting your hands dirty and working outdoors? Do you have experience with landscaping or lawn maintenance? Are you interested in learning about regenerative farming and ecological restoration?
The Seasonal Land Steward works in partnership with staff, renting farmers, and volunteers to manage the Horn Farm property. The Land Steward supports land management activities on the farm and is responsible for: mower and weed-wacker usage and upkeep, weeding ongoing restoration projects (i.e Miyawaki plots, demonstration plots, riparian buffer plantings, woodlands, trail systems), maintaining/mowing around fence and various trails throughout the farm, invasive removal and tree planting in riparian buffers and woodlands, and assistance with Horn Farm Center events as needed.
- Follow a maintenance checklist to ensure equipment remains in working order and has fuel, oil, clean filters, sharp blades, etc
- Mow and maintain trails, around deer fence, and other specified areas
- Maintain specified grass areas by mowing and weed-whacking weekly
- Scout and weed any problem areas in Miyawaki and riparian buffer plantings
- Oversee invasive plant removal and replanting in new riparian buffer area and woodlands
- Assist with management of the demonstration field and production plots
- Lead volunteer groups in land stewardship activities
- Assist with management of the community gardens
- Assist with Horn Farm Center maintenance, projects, and community events as needed
- Serve as an enthusiastic ambassador for the Horn Farm Center
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications & Performance Objectives:
- Experience operating riding mowers, weedwackers, and other land maintenance tools and equipment
- Basic knowledge of plant identification and landscaping best practices
- Comfortable working in varying weather conditions – heat, rain, wind
- Able to manage time and priority responsibilities, projects and tasks in a way that is efficient and self-directed
- Works cooperatively with staff and volunteers
- Ensures farm operations are in good standing before leaving each work day – make sure water and equipment is turned off, doors closed, electric fence turned on, tools and equipment are put away, etc.
- Skilled listener and a willingness to learn and take direction
- Communicates any needs, challenges, or successes with supervisor and other staff
- Able to lift 50 pounds
- Seasonal, part-time position May-October, 20-24 weeks dependent upon availability
- Flexible work schedule, up to 20 hours/week.
- $15-18/hour, depending on experience. Benefits include:
- Seasonal produce or wild foods as available,
- Free tuition to all of our classes and workshops for 12 months, starting at the beginning date of your employment (some restrictions may apply)
- To apply, please send a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 1, 2024
Educators (1099 Contractors)
Each year we host about 100 educational programs and events at the Horn Farm Center. We do so with the help of outside instructors, who bring their own experiences and expertise to our community at the farm.
As part of our mission to provide a diversity of educational experiences that connect people to the land, we are always looking to partner with new program instructors – even first-time teachers!
Instructors are paid for their time as 1099 contractors and teach a wide range of program topics that align with our values and mission, including:
- Sustainable Gardening Practices & Techniques
- Agroforestry – live staking, coppicing, fruit and nut tree production
- Natural Arts – basket weaving, natural dyes, fiber arts, paper making, etc.
- Homesteading – food preservation, natural building, animal husbandry, etc.
- Cooking Classes
- Natural or Local History
- Outdoor Wellness Activities – yoga, forest bathing, nature journaling
To apply, fill out this application and someone will be in touch.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The Horn Farm Center is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, citizenship, color, disability, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, veteran status, genetic information, ancestry, and any other protected status.