The Weekly Share
Here’s what to expect in this week’s share:
- Green beans
- Herbs – thyme and chocolate mint
- Hot peppers
*Due to the unpredictability of weather, pest problems, and other factors produce in the weekly shares are subject to last minute changes.
This week you’ll find North America’s largest native fruit in your shares -pawpaws! Pawpaws are native to Pennsylvania and 25 other states. They have a custard-like texture similar to a banana and their flavor is a mix of banana, and mango oftn with hints of pineapple or melon. Nutritionally pawpaws are high in vitamin C, magnesium, iron, copper, manganese and potassium. The skin and seeds are non edible and similar to pears they’re ripe when brown spots form on the skin. However, they have a limited shelf-life so they need to be consumed or frozen quickly; they can be refrigerated for up to a week and pureed then frozen they can last much longer. They’re wonderful to eat plain or added to smoothies and there are now many recipes online for use them in baked goods and custards.
There’s a pawpaw orchard at Horn Farm that is still in it’s growing stages but in the coming years should produce some wonderful fruits. This weekend is also the Pawpaw Festival at the Horn Farm, come join us to learn more about and try some pawpaws!
News from the Farm
- The end of tomato season is nearly upon us. The field tomatoes are finished for the season but we’ll still have a couple weeks of hoop-house tomatoes from Kilgore Farms.
- For those enjoying the pick your own herb garden you’ll notice the basil had to be cut down, powdery mildew unfortunately claimed the patch.
- Just a reminder for Seventh and George share pick-up folks, please remember to return your share boxes.
- Just some sights around the farm:
Connect and Share
What is your favorite part of your CSA share? Are you having trouble figuring out what to do with something in your share? If you have a recipe or picture you want to share, a trick you learned, or a question about your CSA produce please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org. Share on social media with the hashtag #HornFarmCSA.