Volunteer Spotlight: Ellen Gibb
For many of you, Ellen Gibb needs no introduction. As a long-time volunteer, former board member, and dedicated supporter of the Horn Farm Center, Ellen’s impact can easily be seen and felt at the farm – especially in the Summer Kitchen!
Ellen’s journey with the Horn Farm began over 10 years ago in 2010 when she answered the call to help with Tomato Fest, one of the Horn Farm’s founding community events. While Ellen started as an event volunteer, her service to the organization blossomed over the years from helping with office work and teaching classes to leading the renovation of the summer kitchen and eventually serving on the board. Here are some of the activities that Ellen has dedicated her time and energy to over the years:
- Tabling at local events and organizing outreach events to promote the Horn Farm Center
- Serving as a member and Chair of the Education Committee
- Presenting for Homestead Education Day and kitchen classes
- Leading food and summer kitchen presentations at HFC events
- Co-chairing the renovation of the summer kitchen – which involved recruiting volunteers, sourcing equipment, attending auctions, helping with design and getting paperwork for inspection, helping with grant writing, and providing blood, sweat and tears during construction!
- Coordinating classes in the summer kitchen with Education Director
- Serving as 2nd vice president
- Serving as a member of the Nominating Committee for 3 or 4 years
- Working the Farm Stand
- Providing recipes for the community gardeners and CSA members
- Helping to recruit, track, and schedule volunteers
Ellen was inspired to become a volunteer at the Horn Farm Center because it connected her with her childhood. She grew up on a dairy farm in Minnesota and moved to Pennsylvania after college for a job. The Horn Farm Center was also a place of respite after her husband passed away, especially since there was always something that needed to be done!
When asked about her favorite memory at the farm, Ellen answered “watching people become passionate about food, the land and each other!” She also feels as though the most rewarding thing about volunteering at the Horn Farm is helping to make the world a better place by helping people and children get in touch with our roots.
When Ellen isn’t getting her hands dirty at the Horn Farm Center she volunteers at the York County History Center and serves as Treasurer for her church. Ellen also enjoys spending time with her two wonderful children-Abby and Jason; 2 awesome grandchildren -Elaina and William; and a great daughter in law -Angelica.
We thank Ellen for her many and continued years of service to the Horn Farm Center!
Interested in volunteering? Click here for more information about how to join our team.
Over 4000 trees planted, 6000 more to go!
This past Sunday we were INSPIRED by more than 45 students and volunteers who planted over 1000 trees at the Horn Farm! We thank The Stone Independent School and the student organizers of The Big Do for working with us to reach our shared goals. For more information on this amazing effort to plant 5,000 trees visit thebigdo.org
Horn Farm Center Health and Safety Policy
Due to COVID-19 the Horn Farm Center is offering on-site educational programming with some modifications in order to ensure the health and safety of our visitors, volunteers and staff. All classes will be held outside and are limited to 15 participants per class. If more than one class occurs on the same day, start times will be staggered to reduce the number of individuals arriving at the same time. Multiple hand sanitizer stations are available. We will adjust as needed as time passes and things change.
Participant expectations are as follows:
- Participants are required to bring a mask and wear it when proper physical distancing cannot be maintained. We have a limited supply on hand if you forget yours.
- Physical distancing of 6 feet must be maintained except in case of family members.
- Do not attend if sick or recovering.
Until further notice, no indoor classes are available at this time. We are offering virtual classroom experiences via zoom.